Welcome to WH Immigration company

Talk to expert

+1 519-808-1962

Office Phone
Contact Us
Licensed By:

About Study Permit

Canada has a world class education system. Canadian universities, moreover, provide excellent education and, therefore, are considered important destinations for international students. Recognizing the important contribution of international students, the Canadian government has opened the doors wide for foreign nationals to pursue education in Canada. International students who have been schooled and had the chance to understand the Canadian life and system will be given the opportunity to work and then apply for permanent residency.


With a few exceptions, foreign nationals wishing to study in Canada, must hold a study permit. If you wish to apply for a student visa, you must:

  • Show that your intention is to study and then return home after finishing your studies.
  • Meet the admission requirements and be accepted into a Designated Learning Institution for study.
  • Prove that you have sufficient financial support to cover your schooling and living expenses. 
  • Show that you have no criminal record.
  • Be in good health and complete a medical examination

Generally speaking, some study programs of Canadian universities and colleges include work experience as part of their curriculum.


International students can apply for a co-op or intern work permit if:

  • You hold a valid study permit.
  • Intended employment is required to complete your study program in Canada.
  • You have a letter from your school that confirms all students in your program need to complete work placements to get their degree.
  • Your co-op placement or internship totals 50% or less of your study program.
  • The program of study must be offered by a designated learning institution.

Nevertheless, the following programs are not eligible: 

  • English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL),
  • General interest courses
  • Courses to prepare for another study program.

This program (PGWPP) allows students who have graduated from eligible Canadian designated learning institutions (DLIs) to obtain an open work permit to gain Canadian work experience. Skilled Canadian work experience in National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0 or skill level A or B that is gained through the (PGWPP) helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian experience class within Express Entry. The Work Permit can be offered up to the length of the program but with a maximum validity of three years.


  • Must be 18 years old at the time of application.
  • A valid study permit.
  • Must have graduated from an eligible educational institution where you have studied full-time for at least 8 months prior to the application.
  • Applying for a work permit must be made within 90 days of receiving a written confirmation that you have met the graduation requirements and you are qualified to graduate the program.

However, you will not be eligible to apply for a work permit if you:

  • Participated in the Government of Canada Awards Program funded by Global Affairs Canada GAC.
  • Obtained the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada–Chile.
  • Participated in the Canada–China Scholars’ Exchange Program.
  • Participated in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program.
  • Completed the majority of the credits toward the completion of their program of study by distance learning.
  • Completed a program of study delivered by a non-Canadian institution located in Canada, regardless of their length of stay in Canada.
  • Participated in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program.
  • Participate in a distance learning program from abroad or from within Canada.
  • Have previously been issued a Post-Graduation Work Permit following any other program of study.

Spousal work permit has been introduced to allow spouses of foreign nationals studying in Canada to have their spouse or partner with them in Canada and allowing them to work. The open work permit is generally granted for up to 2 years to the student’s spouse. Holder of the permit can work for any employer or in any profession, unless the job is restricted. This provides spouses with a good opportunity to gain Canadian work experience while staying with their family.


If you are a spouse or common-law partner of an international student studying in Canada, you may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

  • Your spouse/partner has a valid study permit.
  • Your spouse is enrolled and attending school as a full-time student at an eligible Post-Secondary Institution.
  • Be medically admissible and have a clean criminal record.